Most Nursing Home Cases are Medical Malpractice Cases
Why is a claim against a long-term care or home care provider considered to be medical malpractice?
1. Minnesota Law considers claims against any “medical professionals” to be medical malpractice claims.
2. Claims against a “Health Care Provider” include “a physician, surgeon, dentist, occupational therapist, other health care professionals as defined in section 145.61, hospital, or treatment facility.” (Minn. Stat. § 541.076; See Attachment F).
More Information About Minnesota Medical Malpractice Nursing Home Cases
3. “Nursing home” and “professional services” are specifically included in 145.61, subd. 4:
“Health care” means professional services rendered by a professional or an employee of a professional and services furnished by a hospital, sanitarium, nursing home or other institution for the hospitalization or care of human beings.
4. Minn. Stat. § 145.682 – Expert review required as follows:
“health care provider” means a physician, surgeon, dentist, or other health care professional or hospital, including all persons or entities providing health care as defined in section 145.61, subdivisions 2 and 4, or a certified health care professional employed by or providing services as an independent contractor in a hospital.
5. Case law also supports the inclusion of claims against and long-term and home care provider as medical malpractice claims.
This website is not to provide legal advice as each situation is different and specific factual information must be obtained before an attorney is able to assess the legal questions relevant to your situation. In addition to providing related information this blog may also be considered an advertisement for legal services.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury or abuse in a nursing home or other care facility that serves the elderly in Minnesota, please contact our firm for a free consultation and information regarding the obligations of the facility and your rights as a resident or concerned family member. To contact attorney Kenneth LaBore, directly for a Free Consultation, please send an email to klabore@MNnursinghomeneglect.com, or call Ken at 612-743-9048 or toll free at 1-888-452-6589.